Case Study 1: Deviant Behaviors
Use the Internet to research one criminal case within the last three years in which authorities found the defendant to be engaging in deviant behavior. As you research this case, investigate the manner in which social controls may have helped or hurt the defendant.
Write a 3- to 5-page paper in which you address the following thoroughly. Cite specifics from the case wherever possible to support your arguments:
- Determine whether or not you believe social controls played a significant role in the consequences for the defendant. Provide a rationale to support your position.
- Debate whether you believe that the social norms for persons of the defendant’s age support the use of this behavior. Next, support or criticize whether the social norms of persons the defendant’s age are reasonable in a very “politically correct” society. Provide support for your response.
- Argue for or against the theory that an “informal sanction” (i.e., ostracism by peers) would have deterred the defendant’s behavior. Next, specify whether or not the “informal sanctions” would have satisfied anyone who was offended by the behavior of the defendant. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Identify formal sanctions brought against the defendant for the behavior. Considering the sanction, elaborate on the primary manner in which this formal sanction carried out the purpose of protecting persons connected to the defendant. Justify your response.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar types of websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length