“Counter-Reform and Mannerism” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• Explain whether you prefer the representation of the Last Supper by Tintoretto, Veronese, or Leonardo da Vinci, identifying specific elements of the Mannerist and Renaissance artistic styles. Discuss whether you would have sided with Veronese or with Inquisition court, considering the issues of artistic freedom, right of the patron, and appropriate subject matter. Provide a rationale for your response. Describe a real modern situation where similar issues arise, like a controversial film, a professor with controversial views, a business owner expressing a religious opinion in public, a business owner who has an employee who is “just different”, etc.
Counter-Reform and Mannerism
• Chapter 20 (pp. 665-681), Mannerist art; (see also p. 591 in Chapter 17); review Week 10 Music folder
• Tintoretto’s Last Supper at http://www.wga.hu/html_m/t/tintoret/5_1580s/3lastsup.html (click on the image to enlarge); also at Fig. 20.9 on p. 674
• Tintoretto’s Last Supper, video, at http://smarthistory.khanacademy.org/jacopo-tintorettos-last-supper.html
• Chapter 14 (p. 491), Leonardo’s Last Supper (Fig. 14.25)
• Leonardo’s Last Supper at http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/LeonardoLastSupper.htm
• Chapter 20 (pp. 678-680 with Fig. 20.16), “Last Supper” painting and Inquisition trial of the artist Veronese
• Trial of Veronese at http://members.efn.org/~acd/Veronese.html
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.