“Bad News” Message
Write a release using the direct approach to deliver bad news to a community of stakeholders who care, and care quite a bit, about the bad news. You may design the situation yourself; examples include—
· informing shareholders of a drop in profits;
· informing employees of mandatory furlough days;
· informing members that a community organization is slated for shut down;
· informing employees of imminent layoffs.
You need to accomplish two items in the main with this assignment: (1) deliver truly bad news in a professional and ethical manner, and (2) make sure it is truly bad news. Delivering lukewarm bad news will not push your skills as much as a writer. An example of lukewarm bad news is informing employees that due to budget cuts there will be no travel this year. An example of genuinely bad news is that due to budget cuts no contracts of temporary employees will be renewed.
2. Read through the “Cases on p. 271-273,”(attached PDF) and select one of interest and/or value to you, and then complete. So that you are free to choose the “Case” that does interest you the most, you are free to adapt the instructions in this manner: all posts here should be one substantial paragraph. If the “Case” you like asks for a one-page response, only write one paragraph.